Monday, October 12, 2009

Social Media: The Mystery

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I jumped into this "social media" thing face first; naturally it was me because I'm already the resident Google Gal. I had no idea what I was doing or what exactly I was trying to accomplish for our agency.

Every week I'd announce at the top of my lungs how many followers we have on Twitter. The Creative Director parroted back, "yeah but, where are all the clients?"

The obvious answer is: they aren't coming from Twitter. Am I following the wrong Tweeters? I follow people who post content I'm interested in - since I have TweetDeck... what the heck, might as well make it interesting and even learn something.

Another thing: there is no way I'm going to spend all day saying in 140 characters, "We are the absolute best advertising agency. You must immediately give us a shot". That would seem weird to me. I Tweet things I'd like to see. Of course it would be super if someone out there thought we have it going on and asked for a consultation. We ARE great!

Then there is Facebook. No matter what I do, ping.fm, TweetDeck - I cannot make Twitter and Facebook come together. The Facebook "pages" thing is SO limited.

So there. I have confessed. I'm no expert despite having sat through 8-10 "Getting Started with Social Media" webinars. I do what I do. I must keep up with this blog. Someone will read it, right?

I wonder if anyone else feels the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment